South African Milk Tart. Canela's speciality!
1 litre whole milk
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons self-rising flour
3 tablespoons cornflour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Cover a pan with the sweet pastry dough and bake (see below).
2. Blend the self-rising flour with the cornflour, 3 egg yolks, and ½ cup of milk until you get a soft paste.
3. Mix and heat in a pot the rest of milk with the butter and sugar, until it boils
4. While this mix heats, in a separate bowl whip the 3 egg whites till stiff.
5. Once the milk is boiling, withdraw form heat and slowly add to the paste until fully blended.
6. Heat again this blend in the pot, stirring continuously until it thickens. Withdraw from heat and keep stirring for a while. Add the vanilla extract.
7. Incorporate the stirred egg whites to this mix and blend together.
8. Pour into the baked crust and sprinkle the surface with cinnamon.
9. Let it cool, then refrigerate and serve cold.
2 cups flour
1 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ cups white sugar
a pinch of salt
150 g unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1. Put dry ingredients in a bowl and rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add whole egg and milk. Mix to a soft but firm dough.
3. Spread in a buttered oven pan, prick all over with a fork, trim edges, and bake.